Every week I'm sending a postcard to my brother. If he replies he gets the point, if he doesn't then I get the point. He knows nothing about it, needless to say this is a game disguised as regular contact.


Sunday 9 February 2014

Week Seven

Something massive has just happened - my brother actually rang me. He said it was for a catch up but really I knew it was to ask why on earth I keep sending him postcards. His first question was an obvious one - "I know 'mi hermano' means 'my brother' but what does 'mi oido' mean?" - and I'm pretty sure he mispronounced 'oido'.

I was completely prepared for this and told him that if he translates 'oido', to which he replied that he's a busy man and doesn't have time so I should just tell him and I had to repeat the phrase IF he translates oido, he will see that it means 'ear' in Spanish. I then told him that it also means 'he who goes before me, such as an older brother, and can hear things and report on them'. This was an elaborate lie that I've been waiting to tell since I started and if my brother ever reads this I'd like to apologise now for telling a fib.

Oh how I laughed when he put the phone down, though.

This brings the score to 5-2, proving that it only takes a quick fifteen minute phone call to completely alter the score and bring it as close as it is. I'm not expecting another call in the next couple of weeks but anything could happen.

A big thank you to Julia for this week's postcard, which came in a selection of tacky postcards from the good ol' US of A. You can follow Julia on Twitter - @TinkSaid.

I was particularly drawn to this postcard although it wasn't just the presence of Big J. I was wondering whether the couple had spent their entire lives in Death and had woken up to the fact that there was an alternative or whether they were just visiting the area and had passed through Death into Life, needing to ask a local who was stood beside a signpost. Maybe, from their angle, he was ironically hiding the post itself and making Himself seem more important? I don't want to open a theological discussion but perhaps the couple could have made their own way to Life if the man in the bedsheets hadn't been blocking the directions?

Keep sending them in, I have a couple of showcases to come and I'm sure my brother will appreciate them. He certainly didn't tell me to stop sending them.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Terry and you're very welcome:) I've been trying to get rid of those postcards for years. Happy to donate them to a good cause: Brother Baiting!

    ReplyDelete